Kratom is combined with various drugs to see if its efficacy increases. The combination may work or not work; depending on the type of action the drug produces.
Tramadol is a popular drug that is used to treat pain, and it is often combined with Kratom to alleviate pain. Kratom and Tramadol combination is a successful combination that has proven effective for many people.
What is Tramadol and what is it used for?
Tramadol is basically a narcotic used as a pain reliever. It treats moderate to severe pain. When taken as an immediate release tablet, the pain relief occurs within an hour, and peak effect occurs within 2-4 hours.
It works on mu opioid receptors and suppresses pain. Also, it acts by inhibiting the reuptake mechanism of serotonin and norepinephrine.
Tramadol was launched by the Germans and brought into the market with the name Tramal in 1977. It is a synthetic opioid of the benzenoid class, and it metabolized to O-desmethyltramadol in the human body.
It is equally potent to codeine. It is available in the form of syrups, drops, elixirs, tablets, capsules, powders and injections.
Tramadol commonly used as an analgesic during labor pains and delivery, fibromyalgia, nerve pain and due to severe trauma.
Dosage of Tramadol
The recommended adult dosage is as followed;
- For moderate to severe chronic pain: Initially 25mg dose. Then the dose is increased up to 400mg per day given at the dose of 50-100 mg every 4 to 6 hours.
- Extended release tablets: Initially 100mg once daily. Dosage increased up to 300mg.
- For rapid pain relief: 50 to 100 mg dose administered every 4 to 6 hours. Do not increase the dose more than 400 mg.
The dose should be prescribed by a certified medical practitioner, so that side effects are limited.
Tramadol and Kratom combination
Though it is said that Tramadol should never be taken with any other opioids or stimulants, many people do take it with Kratom.
The user views are quite variable when it comes to the combination of Kratom and Tramadol.
According to users on Reddit and various other drug forums, it is important that you take the two drugs separately.
Some suggested that Kratom should be taken 2 hours after Tramadol is taken, while other are of the view that Kratom shouldn’t be taken within 24 hours of consumption of Tramadol. Whys is this so?
The reason many users stated that Kratom sort of either nullifies the effects of Tramadol or overrides the effects of Tramadol.
It is suggested not to increase the dose of Tramadol more than 400mg at any cost as there is a serious risk of severe seizures.
The dose of Kratom can be anywhere between 2-8 grams. The dosing should be spaced and at intervals. Only then one could feel the effects of both Kratom and Tramadol.
Other users are of the view that taking the combination infuses a state of dullness, malaise and it isn’t anything close to pleasurable.
It also gives serotonin action as both the drugs are SSRIs.
Since mitragynine has a stronger effect on the mu receptors, it overcomes the effects of Tramadol leaving it useless.
Kratom has a short half-life whereas Tramadol has a longer half-life so if taken in combination, the half-life will be something in between that of Kratom and Tramadol.
Side effects of Tramadol
Mentioned below are some of the side effects that are observed with the consumption of Tramadol;
- Convulsions or seizures
- Missed menstrual periods
- Weak breathing
- Loss of libido, sexual impotence, infertility
- Nausea, vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Severe skin reaction
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Itching, sweating, and flushing
- Loss of coordination
- Twitching, muscle stiffness
If you experience any of these side effects, get emergency help immediately.
Precautions that need to be taken when taking Tramadol and Kratom combination
Since both Tramadol and Kratom are stimulants and act on the opioid receptors, it is necessary to take some precautions before burning the combination.
- Do not take Kratom and Tramadol if you are using alcohol or other sedatives.
- Avoid taking Tramadol in doses higher than 400mg.
- Pregnant ladies should prevent the consumption of Kratom and Tramadol as it may cause severe withdrawal symptoms in the newborn.
- Lactating mothers should not take the mixture of Kratom and Tramadol.
- Do not crush or open a Tramadol pill. Always swallow it as it is.
- Seizures may occur if you are taking medications for depression or muscle relaxants.
- This combination can interact with many drugs.
- If you have severe asthma problem, or you have intestinal obstruction, do not take this combination.
- Tramadol is habit forming so take it very rarely in combination with Kratom.