The question that commonly arises for Kratom capsules is that are they are efficient?
Do the effects appear immediately and how to getthe most out of Kratom capsules?
Many people fear using Kratom capsules because they have this concept that the capsules have delayed and shorted action. The capsules do not produce full effects.
These myths are not to be taken seriously because this article will show you how you can getthe most out of the Kratom capsules?
What are Kratom capsules?
A Kratom capsule is Kratom powder within a capsule. The capsule could be gelatin or veggie depending whether the origin is planted source or animal source.
Different sizes of capsules are available, and they contain different doses of Kratom. Kratom capsules are available online, in stores and one can even make them at home (the method is described briefly below).
What are the benefits of Kratom capsules?
Numerous benefits of Kratom capsules are known; which is why people prefer to take Kratom capsules instead of powder, tinctures or extracts. Some of the benefits are mentioned below;
- You do not need to experience the bitter taste of Kratom; there’s no mess, no work and you are not required to measure the dose each time you want to take Kratom.
- It can easily be carried anywhere.
- The powder within the capsule remains fresh for longer period.
- The quality of Kratom powder remains the same, and the powder is not oxidized by air.
- You can take the capsules like any other medicine without people noticing that you are taking Kratom.
What are the drawbacks of using Kratom capsules?
Though Kratom capsules are quite efficient some drawbacks are associated with the use of Kratom. The two significant drawbacks are;
- Kratom capsules are quite expensive. On online stores, the capsules are at least 10-30% more expensive than Kratom powder.
However, this drawback can be overcome if Kratom capsules are made at home.
- The onset of Kratom capsules is delayed. It can delay from 5 minutes minimum to 20 minutes.
This delay occurs as Kratom is encapsulated and the capsule needs to be digested by gastric enzymes first. This can be overcome too.
What is the reason for the delay in effects when consuming Kratom capsules?
Capsules are made from the animal protein called gelatin or vegetable proteins. On consumption, the proteases in gastric juice come in contact with these capsules and start digesting them.
This digestion process requires some time which is why one experience a slight delay in action of Kratom.
After the digestion of this capsule, Kratom comes into contact with the gastric juice and it is broken down and sent along the GI tract where it is absorbed into the bloodstream.
The activated form of Kratom reaches the brain via blood to act on the Opiate receptors.
How to get most out of Kratom capsules?
Those who are taking Kratom capsules can employ various methods to make most out of the Kratom capsules.
Firstly, to reduce the delay in action, micro holes should be drilled in the capsule.
This allows the gastric enzymes to come in contact with Kratom powder and while the capsule is being digested, Kratom is also activated. The delay is reduced considerably by this method.
Secondly, citrus juices like orange juice, lemon juice, and grapefruit juice can be taken with Kratom capsules.
These juices are acidic and favor the gastric pH thus gastric enzymes are activated as soon as the capsule comes into contact with the gastric walls.
Thirdly, one should avoid drinking too much water with Kratom capsules as this can delay the digestion of the capsules.
This occurs because water dilutes the gastric juice and enzymes. Thus the enzymes are not readily available to act on Kratom.
Fourthly, Kratom capsules should not be taken right before a meal or immediately after a meal as the food in the stomach slows down the digestive process of Kratom capsules.
Capsules are available in the following sizes;
Capsule size ‘000’: which contains 1 gram of Kratom powder.
Capsule size ‘00’: which contains 0.735 grams of Kratom powder.
Capsule size ‘0’: which contains 0.5 grams of Kratom powder.
Capsule size ‘1’: which contains 0.4 grams of Kratom powder.
Capsule size ‘2’: which contains about 0.3 grams of Kratom powder.
Kratom capsules are ‘0’ in size, and each capsule holds 500 mg or 0.5 grams of Kratom powder.
How to make Kratom capsules at home?
- Capsules of size 000.
- Capsule holder/machine: a plastic box that has slots where one can place empty capsules.
- Parchment paper.
- Kratom weighing scale.
Remove the tops of capsules and place the larger halves in capsule machine. Now weigh Kratom and start filling the capsules.
Tamp the powder and then again fill the capsules completely. To make the powder compact, push down all loose powder using a tamper.
Next, you push the tops of capsules on the bottom halves to close the capsules. Remove the capsules from the capsule machine and tap off all the leftover Kratom.
Weigh this powder and subtract it from the original amount that was weighed initially.
When you get the result, divide it by the number of capsules that you filled, and this is how you figure out the dose per capsule. This is how you spare your dollars when making Kratom capsules at home.
What are the two types of capsules that can be used?
Two types of capsules can be used;
- Gelatin capsules
- Veggie capsules
The Gelatin Capsules
- They are more commonly used.
- Cheap in price.
- Made from animal by-products.
- Some people may develop the allergy from it.
The Veggie Capsules
- Best alternative to gelatin capsules.
- Composed of hypromellose, cellulose, and purified water.
- Free of preservatives and chemicals.
- Halal certified.
- These are stable over a wide range of temperature and humidity.
- Do not cause allergy.
- Dissolve quickly as compared to gelatin capsules.
What is the recommended or standard dosage of Kratom capsules?
(Provided size 000 capsule is used)
- 2-3 capsules: this amount produces mild effects (stimulating, euphoria like)
- 4-7 capsules: this amount produces medium strength effects (which range from stimulant to sedative)
- 8-11 capsules: this amount of capsules produces strong effects (Sedative effects)
- 12-15 capsules: this amount of capsules produces intensely strong effects (sedative-euphoric effects)
According to a study “Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome Secondary to the Use of Herbal Drug Kratom” by Pathak V, Hahn C, Cabellon M and Aris R a patient was studied who developed Respiratory distress syndrome after taking Kratom.
This syndrome was attributed to the use of Kratom; however, the study mentions that the patient took alcohol with Kratom.
Also, the study has a limitation as it does not mention whether the patient is sensitive to gelatin capsules or not.
People who are hypersensitive to gelatin, they get allergic symptoms after consuming capsules.
The mast cells in the body release large quantities of histamine. Histamine causes bronchoconstriction that results in difficulty in breathing.
Histamine also increases the production of mucous which obstructs airways. Thus ARDS or Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome cannot be associated with the use of Kratom powder in this patient.