In the pharmacological sciences, there is a concept of potentiation. Potentiation means the interaction of two or more agents in such a way that the pharmacological response is greater than the sum of individual responses to each agent.
We are going to use this concept with Kratom too. We are going to look at different supplements, artificial/synthetic herbs, natural food and natural herbs that potentiate Kratom or enhance the effects of Kratom. But before we proceed to the herbs let’s identify why do we even need potentiation?
We need potentiation because;
- It decreases the dose of Kratom required
- It provides longer duration of action
- The half-life of Kratom is increased
- The onset of action of Kratom is quicker
- Elimination of the strain of Kratom is reduced
What are the natural foods that potentiate Kratom?
Taking natural products to enhance the effects of Kratom is the best idea as these come with fewer or no side effects at all. All they do is potentiate the effects of Kratom without harming any organ system of the body, unlike certain drugs that act by inhibiting the cytochrome P450 system of the liver, resulting in devastation of many normal enzymatic reactions of the liver. Therefore, it is recommended to always go for the natural products to enhance the effects of Kratom.
- Grapefruit Juice: It is included in the Kratom regimen of many users. Many don’t know that it potentiates Kratom effects; they just take grapefruit to avoid the bitter taste of Kratom. However, it is known to enhance the duration of action of Kratom.
- Turmeric: Addition of turmeric to kratom routine has become a common thing. Just like with grapefruit, turmeric is also responsible for increasing the duration of action of active alkaloids of Kratom.
- Cayenne pepper: This pepper is known for its cleansing and detox effect on the body. It potentiates Kratom by increasing the half-life of the mitragynine present in Kratom.
- Tea: Chamomile and green tea are used in the making of Kratom tea. They mask the bitter taste of Kratom and enhance the calming effects of Kratom.
Using green tea, chamomile or passionflower with red veined strains enhances the soothing effects, while the addition of Yerba Mate tea in the Kratom regimen improve the overall energy of a person when combined with green or white veined Kratom.
- Watercress: It is a hydrating lettuce which maximizes the effects of Kratom as it contains minerals that synergize with Mitragynine.
Supplements can be used to increase the efficacy and potency of Kratom. Mentioned below are some supplements that act as stimulants. Together with Kratom they synergize each other and strengthen the effects of each other.
- Caffeine: Caffeine itself is a central nervous system stimulant. When taken with Kratom, it synergizes the effects of Kratom.
- Valerian root: It is taken with Kratom to promote relaxing effects of Kratom and induce better sleep.
- Cat’s claw: It has alkaloids that synergize the effects of Kratom, increasing its half-life and thus the duration of action.
What drugs potentiate Kratom effects?
Drugs that potentiate Kratom effects are the ones that inhibit the metabolism of Kratom in the liver. These drugs are mainly the inhibitors of the microsomal enzyme system of the liver. They inhibit CYP2D6 and CYP3A4. The list includes Cimetidine, Diphenhydramine, Dextromethorphan, Acetaminophen, and Phenylephrine.
However, it should be noted that these are potent drugs that can cause tolerance very quickly and show adverse effects if combined with Kratom in high doses.
Acetaminophen enhances the pain killing effect of Kratom while Diphenhydramine increases sedative properties. Tianeptine is known to enhance the overall euphoric experience as stated by users on different drug forums. Agmatine is also considered a good combination with Kratom.
It is important that you do not mix these drugs with Kratom as there are high risks associated with it. Also, if you are a patient of cardiovascular diseases, liver or renal diseases, you should abstain from the drugs mentioned above. Note that these drugs are only prescribed my licensed medical practitioners and obtaining them by any other means may get you into problem
To use any of the above mentioned natural food items, supplements or drugs, you should carefully choose the timings. For most of the potentiators mentioned above, the ideal time to take them is 45 minutes before ingestion of Kratom.
It is suggested that you take breaks from Kratom, to avoid tolerance and dependence. Do not take the potentiators on a regular basis as it can cause lethal effects.
Rate This Article