Before we discuss Kratom tolerance, we will have a look at the concept of tolerance. What is tolerance? How does it develop? How to get rid of tolerance? How to prevent Kratom tolerance?
Tolerance is the diminished response of the body to a drug. This occurs when the drug is repeatedly used for a long period. The body adapts to the continued presence of that drug. To achieve the same effect of a drug, the body requires increased dosage as the receptors no longer respond to that drug at small doses. Tolerance develops because the number of receptors decrease or the affinity with which the drug attaches to the receptor decreases. It could also happen due to increased drug metabolism by the liver enzymes.
Same is the case with Kratom. With regular use of Kratom, one starts developing Kratom. The opiate receptors in the central nervous system become desensitized to Kratom. Thus one is forced to take larger doses at regular intervals to achieve desired effects, this further deteriorates the condition, and thus it is a vicious cycle. The brain and body become dependent on larger doses of Kratom. Consumption of larger doses leads to adverse effects on the liver, nervous system and renal system.
Who develops Kratom tolerance?
This questioned can’t be precisely answered as the physiology and anatomy of each person’s body is different. However, it should be noted that continuous use of large doses results in the development of quick tolerance.
What is stagnant strain syndrome?
It’s a common form of tolerance that Kratom users develop. This occurs when a user never changes the strain of Kratom and only uses one type of strain or the dose they take remains the same. At this stage, the brain and the body get accustomed to the frequent presence of the strain and the dose and no longer respond to it. Luckily, this issue can be resolved with the rotation of strains.
How can I avoid tolerance?
To avoid tolerance from Kratom, you need to follow some very easy steps;
- Strain rotation: You need to start mixing up your Kratom routine. If you usually use Red Maeng Da, switch over to Green Malay now and then. If you make Kratom tea, start taking it with juice or try a tincture. Just avoid a static Kratom routine.
- Avoid using Kratom two days in a row.
- Do not use Kratom more than twice in a week.
- Do not use Kratom potentiators or other opiate adjuncts: This increases the receptor desensitization and enhances build up of tolerance.
- Take notes about your Kratom usage. Mention the dose and the strain used to keep a check on your Kratom habits.
- It’s a good idea to try Kratom blends. Strains that have sedating effects like Red Bali can be mixed with Maeng Da to produce a balanced effect. This way not only you avoid tolerance, but you enjoy the different Kratom combinations and their effects.
- Take less kratom throughout the day.
- Also space your doses further than when you usually take kratom. This is done to avoid the stability of the alkaloids in the brain. If it reaches one stable level, then tolerance is more likely to occur.
What to do when I build tolerance?
First comes first!
Take a break. Stop taking the Kratom strain if you are not dependent on it. Allow your system to reset. If you are reliant on the particular Kratom strain, taper off the dose gradually. At least give your body a break of a month or so. Once your body returns to its optimum health, start taking Kratom but practice the techniques mentioned above to avoid tolerance. Use Kratom responsibly and with common sense and enjoy with beneficial herbal effects of Kratom.
Kratom tolerance with extracts and enhanced leafs
The stronger a strain is, or the more concentrated a strain is, the quicker you develop tolerance. With the advent of the new and faster strains, extracts and enhanced leaves are commonly used by many. Now these extracts and enhanced leaves are strong, and they give quick effects. Thus people love them and spend an enormous amount of money purchasing them from different vendors.
The problem with these Kratom extracts is that with regular use you can develop tolerance very quickly. Moreover, you can have some serious health related issues like mental addiction, liver disorders, etc. Going back to plain powder after consuming extracts will give you no effects. This is why you should totally avoid extracts and enhanced leaves.
Kratom rotation guide
Below is a one week Kratom rotation guide that you can follow to avoid tolerance.
- Day 1: White Vein (Thai)
- Day 2: Green Indo Vein
- Day 3: Red Vein Strain (Borneo)
- Day 4: Green Vein (Bali)
- Day 5: White Vein (Malay)
- Day 6: Off
- Day 7: Red Vein (Maeng Da)
Use the red vein strains 1.5 hours after dinner to have a peaceful and relaxed sleep. To avoid Kratom tolerance, do not take it every night. Use Maeng Da strains when you are feeling very bad or highly energetic.
Tolerance slowing supplements
Certain supplements slow down the buildup of tolerance on opiate receptors. These supplements are NMDA antagonists, a receptor site that is responsible for the development of Kratom tolerance.
One of the best NMDA antagonists is magnesium. Other is Dextromethorphan which is a cough syrup. However, it is suggested not to use these supplements regularly as it can have adverse health effects.
Rate This Article