In this Article, we will discuss:
- How does Kratom induce good mood and relaxation?
- How does 5-HTP induce good mood and relaxation?
- Comparison of Kratom and 5-HTP
- How does Kratom affect serotonin levels?
- How does 5-HTP effect serotonin level?
- Can Kratom and 5-HTP supplemented with other substances for enhanced mood?
- Combination of Kratom supplements with other substances
- Combination of 5-HTP supplements with other substances
- Side effects/precautions of Kratom
- Side effects/precautions of 5-HTP
- Recommended dose of Kratom for mood enhancement
- Recommended dose of 5-HTP for mood enhancement
Today’s fast-paced world requires a vast amount of energy, with the increased competition in every field of life. You all might suffer from lack of energy, anxiety, foul mood leading to depression.
According to World Health Organization (WHO), there has been an 18% increase during 2005 to 2015 increase in the people with depression. Why let the depression and anxiety catch us? Let’s improve our daily routine, take better sleep and reenergize our body and mind by using the right supplements.
Kratom and 5-HTP are two of the best natural supplements available over the counter for improving your mood, helps to overcome fatigue and to enhance the mind’s relaxation.
How does Kratom induce good mood and relaxation?
Kratom is the latest sensation in the supplement and herb world. It comes from the leaves and stem of the native plant called Kratom tree.
It is found in the countries of Southeast Asia. The other names of Kratom are ithang, thom, and kakuam while in Malaysia is called biak or ketum.
It comes in 4 varieties (red, green, yellow, white) with the different use and effect. The red strain causes a more stimulating effect as compared to the white strains which have more usage as relaxants.
On research, kratom has been found to contain 25 active alkaloids, the aggressive and high quantity one is mitragynine while others are mitraphylline and 7-hydroxymitragynine.
Mitragynine is an opioid agonist. It binds to the opiate receptors in the brain. These brain receptors are responsible for influencing your mood and anxiety.
The kratom dosage and strain plays a significant role in stimulating your brain receptors to cause euphoria to focused mood, works as a stimulator or a sedative or provide an analgesic relief or optimistic thinking.
It has been observed that Kratom at lower doses provides stimulating effects while at higher doses narcotic effects. The best thing about Kratom is that it does not cause addiction.
You need to use it consistently for its relaxation and good mood inducing effects.
How does 5-HTP induce good mood and relaxation?
5-HTP is the short form of 5-hydroxytryptophan. 5-HTP is a natural substance found in the West African medicinal plant Griffoniasimplicifolia. We extract 5-HTP from the seed pods of the plant.
5-HTP increases the serotonin levels in the brain to cause the peace of mind effect. As a result, uplifting the mood.
5-HTP immediately converts into the serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter. This serotonin regulates many functions in the brain which include
- The regulation of sleep,
- The control of appetite,
- The body temperature regulation,
- Mood enhancement and endocrine functions,
The best and the golden mood enhancer formulation of 5-HTP is its combination with Vitamin B6 and St. John Wort.
This combination provides healthy levels of serotonin to enhance your mood and is highly effective for people suffering from mild or moderate depression.
5-HTP does not cause any kinds of addiction nor does it produce a euphoric state. It needs to be added to the diet on a daily basis for profound mood enhancement.
Comparison of Kratom and 5-HTP
- Both works as mood enhancers.
- Relieve stress and anxiety.
- Used as over the counter supplement for depression and anxiety disorder.
- Both work on the nervous system.
- Have fewer side effects as compared to Prozac and other prescription anti-depressants.
- Both are not addictive.
|Mechanism of action||Works on the opioid receptors||Immediately converts into serotonin|
|Acts as a mood enhancer
Acts as a narcotic
|Acts as a mood enhancer
|Derived from||The leaves of the plant||The seed pod of the plant|
|Varieties||four different varieties, red, green, yellow and white||Single variety available|
|As Treatment||In mild to severe depression||In mild to moderate depression|
|Side-Effects||Cause addiction in high dose with regular use||Does not cause addiction|
How does Kratom affect serotonin levels?
Kratom has gained worldwide popularity as a recreational supplement as it provides effects like narcotic drugs. Previously it was only used in Thailand and Malaysia.
Kratom has no direct impact on the serotonin levels. According to various research, Kratom contains mitragynine which acts on the opioid receptors in the brain which affects your mood and anxiety level.
Most research shows that serotonin is the primary neurotransmitter that regulates your mood, anxiety level, and sleeps.
Due to the serotonin deficiency, different conditions like anxiety disorders, mood fluctuation and insomnia have been observed.
New research indicates that opiate deficiency has a more considerable influence on anxiety and depression as compared to serotonin.
Therefore kratom plays a decisive role in enhancing one’s mood and relieving stress. It has different effects on the opiate receptors depending on the variety and dosage ingested.
Hence when taking Kratom, do consult a health care provider regarding the dosage and type of Kratom.
How does 5-HTP effect serotonin level?
Did you know that 5-HTP is a natural chemical produced by the body? 5-HTP is the metabolite of tryptophan (an amino acid).
5-HTP is further metabolized to produce the neurotransmitter serotonin. The neurotransmitter is a substance that is needed to transfer signals to the brain.
Serotonin performs a vital function in the body like regulating the mood, behavior, body temperature, muscle spasms, cardiovascular system, sleep, anxiety, and depression.
The low levels of serotonin cause depression, anxiety and often insomnia. Using 5-HTP supplements are a more natural way of replenishing the low serotonin levels.
5-HTP is not found naturally in the food while the amino acid Tryptophan is hence it has to take in the form of supplement when needed.
The 5-HTP supplements naturally increase the serotonin levels in the body, which results in curing the mood disorders, anxiety, and depression. 5-HTP is also used to cure the high appetite syndrome related to depression.
Can Kratom and 5-HTP supplemented with other substances for enhanced mood?
Kratom and 5-HTP both work primarily to enhance your mood, but no proper research is available regarding there interaction. Both come in separate formulations and are used individually at different times in the day.
Some people have complained of severe heightened euphoria while others think it’s not very useful.
A user on bluelight.org shared their experience of using kratom with 5-HTP “that I know chemicals affect everyone differently, but I have had some lame experiences with combining 5-htp and kratom. Since I began taking 100mg of 5-htp every so often with my multivitamin in the morning. It made me feel like I had taken too much kratom. I would feel a little dizzy, extra nauseous.”
Combination of Kratom supplements with other substances
When we use Kratom with a different substance, potentiated effects are achievable. Some of the best combinations are under discussion.
Combination 1: Mixing 2 varieties of Kratom Tea
For the perfect mix to suit your needs, mixing the two types like white and green Maeng Da of Kratom enhance it mood-lifting effects. The different fusions of kratom are available as pre-mix powders in the market.
Combination 2: Kratom and Chamomile Tea
According to kratomguides.com, the Combination of Kratom with Chamomile increase the efficacy of Kratom. It potentiates the progression and gives added benefits.
In combination, they work like magic against internal inflammations, wounds, and various skin allergies. These balance the pH of the stomach and cure anxiety and sleeping disorders.
Continuous use leads to mood lifting and higher strength and calming effect. Chamomile and Kratom combination is the best, suggested some Reddit users.
Combination 3: Kratom and Phenibut
The combination of Kratom and Phenibut is the latest and famous combination of Kratom with Phenibut.
Both work as an opiate withdrawal symptoms. Used together they offer a synergistic effect with a heightened feeling of euphoria which is very powerful.
Kratom provides the boosting of mood accompanied by happiness, mental stimulation, and analgesic effect while phenibut provide sedation, muscle relaxation and a broad sense of well-being and calmness.
Combination of 5-HTP supplements with other substances
5-HTp is more effective when used in conjunction with other herbs and supplements than when it is used alone.
The combined 5-HTP formulations produce “multiplier effect” where the blend of the herbs works far better than one alone.
Combination 1: 5-HTP with L-Tyrosine
L-tyrosine and 5-HTP both work on the catecholamine receptors and serotonin levels respectively to improve memory and focus during mental stress, increase calmness and enhance mood.
Due to their action on different receptors, they can be used together to cure conditions other than depression, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center.
Combination 2: 5-HTP with Passionflower
The combination of 5-HTP with passionflower is a very active mood-enhancing medication which increases serotonin through a slightly different mechanism, resulting in the increased happiness and confidence states.
This combination also contains ashwagandha which decreases the stress level “cortisol” and Valerian root which acts as a natural Valium, calming people with anxiolytic and sedative properties.
Combination 3: 5-HTP with Vitamin B6( pyridoxine)
This combination enhances the mood lifting, reducing anxiety, increasing focus and boosting memory effects of 5-HTP.
Vitamin B6 increases the building of Serotonin neurotransmitter in the brain. It also plays an important role in maintaining the brain cell layer called myelin sheath.
Taking the vitamin B6 with 5-HTP boosts the stress relieving effects which help in the promotion of the feeling of contentment, happiness, and mental clarity.
Side effects/precautions of Kratom
Occasional use of low dosages of kratom does not cause any risks/dangers of side effects.
Higher doses are taken regularly for a prolonged time cause symptoms like constipation, nervousness, skin darkening, and aggression.
Other effects include nausea, tremors, loss of libido, increased urination, itching and dry mouth.
Overdosage of kratom includes hallucination, vomiting, aggression, tremors, motor coordination problems, and delusions.
Kratom is not for use by
- Pregnant women.
- People with low blood pressure.
- In schizophrenic patients.
- People having hepatic and renal problems.
Tolerance to kratom is easily made, resulting in the consumption of higher dosage over time, causing an ultimate dependence.
Side effects/precautions of 5-HTP
Some of the general side effects include pain in the stomach, vomiting, nausea, drowsiness, sexual issues, nausea, muscle cramps and heartburn.
5-HTP is not safe in large doses. If taken 6 to 10 grams daily it causes severe muscle spasms and stomach issues.
- Avoid using 5-HTP in pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Intake of 5-HTP should be stopped two weeks before surgery.
- People on antidepressant medications should not use 5-HTP as it may result in serotonin syndrome, which characterized rapid fluctuating BP, hot flashes, mental change, heart rate and might lead to the coma.
- Severe interactions with 5-HTP are observed with isocarboxazid, Zyvox (linezolid), Methylene blue, Nardil (phenelzine) and Parnate (tranylcypromine).
Recommended dose of Kratom for mood enhancement
Kratom comes in the form of powder, extract, and capsules. It should be taken on an empty stomach therefore preferably early in the morning.
The dosage of Kratom for euphoric and energetic effect is as follows:
- The Lower dose – 1 to 2 grams
- TheModerate dose – 3 to 5 grams
- Higher doses – 6 to 10 grams cause sedating effect.
It is exceedingly dosage specific, as mentioned above it is a good nootropic at low doses while it cause narcotic-like effects at high doses.
Recommended dose of 5-HTP for mood enhancement
The following guidelines have been set for the usage of 5-HTP as it is not a regulated supplement:
- Use a high-quality 5-HTP supplement.
- The best time to take 5-HTP supplement is on an empty stomach as it enhances the 5-HTP absorption.
- Taking 100mg in low dosages up to 300-500mg in divided doses.
- Taking 300mg at night time induces sleep.
- The other natural remedies with 5-HTP are available for use.
- American Kratom Association. What happens next? December 2, 2016. Accessed January 10, 2017. http://www.americankratom.org/
- Angst J, Woggon B, Schoepf J. The treatment of depression with L-5-hydroxytryptophan versus imipramine. Results of two open and one double-blind study. Arch PsychiatrNervenkr. 1977;224(2):175-186.
- Attele AS, Xie JT, Yuan CS. Treatment of insomnia: an alternative approach. Altern Med Rev. 2000;5(3):249-259.
- Birdsall TC. 5-Hydroxytryptophan: a clinically-effective serotonin precursor. Altern Med Rev. 1998;3(4):271-280.
- Cinosi, E., Martinotti, G., Simonato, P., Singh, D., Demetrovics, Z., Roman-Urrestarazu, A., …Corazza, O. (2015). Following “the Roots” of Kratom (Mitragynaspeciosa): The Evolution of an Enhancer from a Traditional Use to Increase Work and Productivity in Southeast Asia to a Recreational Psychoactive Drug in Western Countries. BioMed Research International, 2015, 968786. http://doi.org/10.1155/2015/968786
- Drago, J. Z., Lane, B., Kochav, J., &Chabner, B. (2017). The Harm in Kratom. The Oncologist, 22(8), 1010–1011. http://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2017-0279
- Fluyau, D., &Revadigar, N. (2017). Biochemical Benefits, Diagnosis, and Clinical Risks Evaluation of Kratom. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 8, 62. http://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2017.00062
- Hinz, M., Stein, A., &Uncini, T. (2012). 5-HTP efficacy and contraindications. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment, 8, 323–328. http://doi.org/10.2147/NDT.S33259
- Kapp, F. G., Maurer, H. H., Auwärter, V., Winkelmann, M., &Hermanns-Clausen, M. (2011). Intrahepatic Cholestasis Following Abuse of Powdered Kratom (Mitragynaspeciosa). Journal of Medical Toxicology, 7(3), 227–231. http://doi.org/10.1007/s13181-011-0155-5
- Kratom Alternatives, (2015, December 5) Kratom and Chamomile – A Great Combination to Potentiate the Effects retrieved fromhttp://kratomguides.com/kratom-chamomile-great-combination-potentiate-effects/
- Kratom, “usage” retrieved from http://www.mitragyna.com/usage
- KratomGuide. (2017 November 21) “What is a good Kratom Dose of Energy and Positive Mood?” retrieved from http://kratomguides.com/what-is-a-good-kratom-dose-for-energy-and-positive-mood/
- Pantano, F., Tittarelli, R., Mannocchi, G., Zaami, S., Ricci, S., Giorgetti, R., …Marinelli, E. (2016). Hepatotoxicity Induced by “the 3Ks”: Kava, Kratom, and Khat. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 17(4), 580. http://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17040580
- Váradi, A., Marrone, G. F., Palmer, T. C., Narayan, A., Szabó, M. R., Le Rouzic, V., …Majumdar, S. (2016). Mitragynine/CorynantheidinePseudoindoxylsAs Opioid Analgesics with Mu Agonism and Delta Antagonism, Which Do Not Recruit β-Arrestin-2. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 59(18), 8381–8397. http://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.6b00748
- Daniel Siebert,(2016, October 12) The Kratom User’s Guide http://www.sagewisdom.org/kratomguide.html
Rate This Article